Self-test on learning English language to determine your level|
This test will help you to test yourself. It will show you how quickly you will learn English.
Do not send the answers to us! It is just to help you.
It asks you about 100 questions. Write your answer on paper. Then look at the "How to calculate your English proficiency level" at the bottom of this page.
1) _____ is the school?
2) When _____ you going home?
3) _____ do you come from?
4) _____ you like a cup of coffee?
5) I _____ been to Scotland yet.
C- am not
D- don't have
6) _____ you think English is easy?
7) I _____ play the piano and the trumpet.
8) Hubert doesn't know _____ stole his watch.
9) _____ you eaten your dinner?
10) I _____ playing tennis when it started to rain.
11) "_____ do you come to school?" "By bus."
12) I bought this car three weeks _____.
A- in the past
13) How _____ do you think you'll study here for?
D- long time
14) How many exercises _____ you done so far?
15) I like Chopin's music very _____.
C- a lot
16) Does David live with you? No, he _____.
17) Michael is _____ intelligent than his brother.
18) Oxford United are a _____ football team than Manchester United.
19) Have you _____ to Thailand?
A- ever gone
C- ever been
20) I can't remember what the teacher looks _____.
21) I studied _____ three years at Huddersfield University.
22) I _____ realised she was your sister, sorry!
23) How _____ do you weigh?
24) Don't talk to me. It _____ been a very hard day.
25) Are _____ any Italians in your class?
26) _____ you like to go to the seaside this weekend?
27) "My car isn't very clean." "_____ is mine."
28) I can't play football now, but I _____ when I was younger.
29) If you could meet anyone, who _____ you choose?
30) Gary has _____ writing poetry ever since his parents died.
31) I've _____ my keys. I'll have to buy another set.
32) Jennifer has _____ working very late at the office recently.
33) "I went to the cinema last night." "_____ you often go to the cinema?"
34) Paper _____ made from wood.
B- has been
D- is being
35) You must _____ me to buy Rachel a present, or I'll forget.
36) "I often go to Razor's disco." "Really? So _____ I."
37) The gold necklace was _____ expensive for me to buy, so I bought the silver one.
38) I want to know what happened, so please _____ me the truth.
39) Sarah lives _____ the eleventh floor of a block of flats.
40) "Have you still got that cold?" "No, I _____ ill last week, but I'm better now."
41) "When _____ you move to Oxford?" "Last year."
42) If you go abroad, you _____ carry your passport with you.
43) What does your friend look _____?
44) Bill Gates, with over $100 billion, is the _____ man in the world.
D- most rich
45) Jennie _____ to pass her exams to get into university.
46) Horace really _____ go to the dentist about his teeth, but he won't.
47) If you wait for a moment, _____ drive you to work.
C- I'm going to
48) Can you switch _____ the light? It's getting dark.
49) Where _____ that man I met yesterday from?
50) There _____ be heavy rain in the east of the country this afternoon.
A- is going to
51) Nigel isn't as tall _____ his sister.
52) When _____ you leave the cafe last night?
53) This is a difficult exercise, so _____ your time doing it.
54) I'm _____ to take a skiing holiday in France this winter.
55) I _____ talk to him right now, if I were you.
B- have to
D- want to
56) Would you _____ if I opened the door?
57) _____ Debbie had her baby yet?
58) I went _____ in London yesterday and bought lots of nice things.
B- to shop
D- to house
59) There isn't _____ coke left. Someone drank the last bottle.
60) I do think you _____ to wear a big coat if you go out tonight. It's going to snow.
61) Don't call me before 10.00pm, as I'll be _____ football on television.
62) If I _____ realised you were tired, I'd have slowed down.
63) Do you _____ if I smoke?
B- like it
D- mind it
64) "What's this key _____?" "It's the key to the garage."
C- made of
D- belong to
65) If Jane hadn't been late, she _____ have missed the exam.
66) After no-one bought tickets to the disco, we had to call it _____.
67) It's no use _____. He never listens to complaints.
B- to complain
D- in complaining
68) If I cook the dinner, will you wash _____?
B- as well
69) She's a model now, but when she was young she _____ to be very plain.
70) At university I had to put _____ with loud music from my next door neighbour every night.
71) Colin walked to work, as he _____ recently sold his car.
B- had been
C- had to
72) Leslie felt ill after she ate the fish and so _____ Carl.
73) I wish I _____ find those old photos from school to show you.
74) I don't know where Bill is. He _____ have been here. Look, here's his note.
75) The dog went _____ the postman and bit his leg.
76) I'm neither more intelligent _____ less intelligent than my sister.
77) Can I have a return ticket to Oxford? Do you have _____ for a £20 note?
78) _____ John calls soon, I'm going to call him.
D- As soon as
79) Here. Give me a _____ with this ladder, would you? It's a bit heavy.
80) Phil _____ his windows cleaned yesterday.
81) "Would you like a cup of tea?" "I'd _____ have coffee if you have some."
B- wanted to
D- liked to
82) It's time we _____, John.
C- are leaving
D- were leaving
83) Tammie would rather _____ sleep here tonight.
84) A trolley is a thing in supermarkets for keeping the things you buy _____.
85) It costs much _____ to fly than it used to, because of all the low cost airlines around.
86) If you _____ eaten so much when you were young, you wouldn't be fat now.
87) I'll never forget _____a bicycle for the first time.
C- that riding
D- when riding
88) _____ the time you read this, I'll be flying to Rio de Janeiro.
89) I'd rather you _____ smoke in here, if you don't mind.
90) If you want to come tonight, give me a call. If _____, I'll tell you all about it tomorrow.
91) If you don't study harder, you _____ the risk of failing the exam.
92) Clive _____ better hurry, or he'll miss the train.
93) No _____ which way I try to sleep, my back gives me pain.
94) If _____ I hadn't crashed the car, I'd have some money now.
95) Tests _____ carried out on this substance should determine its origin.
96) It _____ a long time to drive to Scotland from London.
97) You _____ have seen Peter; he's dead!
98) At no time _____ I suspect he was a thief.
99) The fierce snake, _____ venom is extremely toxic, is found in Eastern Australia.
100) This conversation is useless. We're just going round in a _____ circle.
How to calculate your English proficiency level
|Answers||Your Level||Expected course duration for English|
proficiency with Mr. David
|0% - 40%||Beginning||4.5 Months|
|41% - 53%||Elementary||4 Months|
|54% - 66%||Lower Intermediate||3 Months|
|67% - 79%||Middle Intermediate||3 Months|
|80% - 90%||Upper Intermediate||2 Months|
|91% - 100%||Advanced||1.5 Month|
Correct answers key
1) A Where, 2) B are, 3) B Where, 4) D Would, 5) B haven't, 6) A Do, 7) B can, 8) A who, 9) C Have, 10) C was, 11) C How, 12) B ago,
13) B long, 14) C have, 15) A much, 16) B doesn't, 17) A more, 18) B better, 19) C ever been, 20) B like, 21) B for, 22) D hadn't, 23) A much,
24) A has, 25) C there, 26) D Would, 27) C Neither, 28) C could, 29) D would, 30) B been, 31) B lost, 32) D been, 33) C Do, 34) C is, 35) D remind,
36) B do, 37) C too, 38) A tell, 39) B on, 40) C felt, 41) D did, 42) C should, 43) D like, 44) C richest, 45) C has, 46) B must, 47) B I'll,
48) A on, 49) B was, 50) B will, 51) A as, 52) D did, 53) B take, 54) C going, 55) C would, 56) B mind, 57) C Has, 58) C shopping, 59) A any,
60) B ought, 61) C watching, 62) C had, 63) C mind, 64) B for, 65) C wouldn't, 66) A off, 67) C complaining, 68) D up, 69) D used, 70) B up, 71) A had,
72) C did, 73) B could, 74) A must, 75) C for, 76) B nor, 77) D change, 78) C Unless, 79) B hand, 80) B had, 81) A rather, 82) D were leaving, 83) D not
84) B in, 85) B less, 86) B hadn't, 87) B riding, 88) B By, 89) C didn't, 90) D not, 91) C run, 92) C had, 93) A matter, 94) B only, 95) C being, 96) B takes,
97) B can't, 98) B did, 99) C whose, 100) C vicious
How to contact Mr. David
Feel free to contact at (92-21) 34385978, 345-2410728.
Campus: Marine Faisal, suit # 409, 4th Floor,
10/A, Block-6, P.E.C.H.S,
Near Hotel Faran, Sharah-e-Faisal, Karachi, Pakistan.